Are you new to yoga, but are you unsure of where to start and what to expect? We have all been there! And we are here to guide you towards an informed decision of how yoga can best fit into your schedule, meet your individual needs, and improve your quality of life. Our studios offer many classes suitable for beginners, because we have many many newbies like you starting every day. So don’t be shy, our studios are welcoming, our instructors and staff are friendly, and our classes are diverse: there is a style yoga that is right for you.
How to Choose the Right Class
Choosing the right yoga class depends on your individual needs. Here you’ll find a description of our recommended yoga classes for beginners. Pick one, and remember, your first yoga class is free!
Yoga 101 – Learn the Basics of Yoga
This course will teach you the basic yoga poses and breathing techniques. You will gain an understanding of postural alignment, overal benefits and modifications; to allow you to practice them with confidence.
- all beginners
- those who would like to tune-up their practice
This class will include an all-levels warm-up sequence, will focus on the breath, encourage a slow pace, as well as gentle movements and stretches in order to remove imbalances and bring back intelligence to the muscles, postural awareness and physical body
- People with chronic pain conditions once their doctor has recommended gentle yoga.
- People unable to participate in general all-levels Hatha yoga classes
A gentle form of Hatha practiced in candlelight, this class helps you unwind from your day, and bring balance to your busy life. Enjoy a series of poses aimed to open the body and mind to a greater state of ease and calm.
- People who seek a slow-moving and meditative class, but enjoy a degree of physical challenge to get there.
- People with busy minds who need a reprieve from the demands of their typical day (that means you!)
Hatha Yoga is a popular form of yoga that aims to balance the mind through physical postures (asanas), breathing techniques (pranayama) and meditation. At Kushala, all Hatha classes are multi-level, and are therefore suitable for beginners who are physically mobile and willing to dive right in to the heart of the posture practice.
- individuals looking for a well-rounded class combining strength, flexibility, balance, and mental-centering
- individuals who are at minimum in moderate physical condition
In this class you will engage in long held passive postures designed to target the joints, bones and connective tissue. By keeping your muscles soft, you are able to release deep layers of connective tissue, greatly increasing your range of motion, and creating more ease in any style of yoga, and your life in general.
- individuals with at least moderate mobility, who wish to deepen their range of motion
- individuals in need of myofascial release caused by day-to-day activity or specific injury
Restorative Yoga is our most gentle healing form of Hatha yoga that is practiced with props, in reclined positions, to provide a supportive environment for total relaxation.
- individuals who need a time and space to stop, breathe and relax in a supportive environment
- individuals with chronic pain
- individuals suffering from stress-related illness